World Rural Health Conference
Home Print this page Email this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size
Users Online: 2990
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 11  |  Page : 3559-3564

Pattern of antinuclear antibody and antiextractable nuclear antigen antibody test requisitions in Riyadh


1 Department of Family Medicine, King Khalid Medical City, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
2 Department of Pathology, King Khalid Medical City, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Najla Ali Alghabban
Department of Family Medicine, King Khalid Medical City, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh - 11461
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_758_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: International guidelines for screening of systemic autoimmune rheumatic diseases (SARD) recommend antinuclear antibody (ANA) test as the first level test and antiextractable antigen (anti-ENA) along with anti-double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) as second line tests following a reactive ANA test. This study was performed to assess adherence to international guidelines for investigation of SARD and to compare the requesting pattern of ANA and second level tests between rheumatology and nonrheumatology physicians in Riyadh. Methodology: This retrospective cross-sectional study comprising of 300 first time requests for investigation of SARD was performed in the immunology unit at King Khalid University Hospital (KKUH). Data were collected between April and May 2018. Information regarding the requesting physicians' specialty and the first time requested tests (ANA, anti-dsDNA, and anti-ENA) were extracted from the electronic medical records. Reasons for requisition of tests were also recorded. Results: Of the total requests, 159 (53%) requests included ANA as a single first level test, whereas the rest of the requests (n = 141, 47%) included ANA test in conjunction with second level tests for the investigation of SARD. From the department of rheumatology, 14 (29.8%) initial requests were for ANA test as the only first line investigation that was significantly lower than 145 (57.3%) similar requests from the rest of the departments (P < 0.001). Conclusion: ANA and second level tests requests by physicians particularly among rheumatologists lacked compliance to international guidelines. The current study strongly suggests the need for strict compliance to international guidelines for screening of systemic autoimmune disorders among physicians.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed116    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded19    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal