Home Print this page Email this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size
Users Online: 3891
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 8  |  Page : 4234-4239

Evaluation of biochemical markers of kidney function in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism in comparison with euthyroid people


1 Metabolic Disease Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Nasrin Mansournia
Metabolic Disease Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran
Iran
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_757_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: Subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH) as a compensated or preclinical type of primary and overt hypothyroidism (OHT) can affect approximately 4–10% of the general population. Treating SCH can slowdown the progression to OHT, the formation of cardiovascular diseases, neuropsychiatric symptoms, and other miscellaneous problems. Materials and Methods: The present study is a case-control study that was conducted on 239 adults who were referred to 501 Imam Reza Hospital from March 2019 up to September 2019. Of the 239 patients and their families admitted to the hospital, 121 (50.6%) were euthyroid (as control group) and the remaining participants (118, 49.4%) were SCH (as case group). The serum levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), urea, uric acid, creatinine, T3, and T4 were asked to be determined at a single laboratory. Biochemical markers of kidney function and the level of thyroid hormones were compared between the two groups of euthyroid and SCH. Results: TSH was significantly higher in SCH (7.25 (4.4-18.15)) compared to euthyroid (1.4 (0.2-3.7)) patients (P < 0.001). Among biochemical markers, creatinine (P < 0.001) and uric acid (P = 0.006) had higher serum levels in the case group. There was no remarkable difference in the thyroxine hormone levels and urea between the euthyroid and SCH patients (P > 0.05). Within the SCH group, there was a significant positive correlation between TSH and the level of creatinine (P = 0.001, r = 0.302). Conclusion: Regular monitoring of the major function of the kidneys in patients with hypothyroidism and SCH can help early diagnosis of kidney dysfunction, thus increasing the chance of restoring normal kidney function.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed92    
    Printed2    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded20    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal