Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2019  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 11  |  Page : 3706--3712

Knowledge regarding avulsion, reimplantation and mouthguards in high school children: Organised sports-related orodental injuries


Abhishek Dhindsa1, Gundeep Singh1, Shalini Garg1, Gurpreet Kour2, Ambreen Kaur3, Ashish Loomba1, Manu Sharma2 
1 Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, MM College of Dental Sciences and Research, Maulana, Ambala, India
2 Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, SDDHDC, Barwala, Haryana, India
3 Department of Orthodontics, MM College of Dental Sciences and Research, Maulana, Ambala, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Gundeep Singh
House No. 155/F, Civil Lines, Passi Road, Patiala, Punjab - 147 001
India

Purpose: To assess knowledge, awareness and attitude of high school children involved in various sports activities regarding avulsion, reimplantation and mouthguard use. Materials and Methods: An interview-based study was conducted among high school children in the age group of 8–16 years (n = 1105). A questionnaire was given to children and parents which included questions based on knowledge of children regarding avulsion, reimplantation, consequences of losing teeth, mouthgards and their usage and preferred media for tooth transportation. The research proposal was submitted to the ethics committee and the study design was approved. Data analysis included descriptive statistics and Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software. Results: Only 37.6% of the children knew that their teeth can be completely knocked out with injury and 20.1% knew that a knocked-out tooth can be replanted. The preferred media for tooth transportation were gauze/cotton (27.2%), handkerchief (17.5%), paper (14%), water (13.8%) and cellophane (1.3%), i.e. 81.3% of the children preferred dry transport media. Among the children playing contact sport, 53.8% did not know about mouthguards and the rest 46.2% knew about it, but most of them never used it. Conclusion: Considering the lack of awareness among children, as well as the people around them, there appears to be a crucial need for education of public and to determine dental manpower and dentists to increase awareness.


How to cite this article:
Dhindsa A, Singh G, Garg S, Kour G, Kaur A, Loomba A, Sharma M. Knowledge regarding avulsion, reimplantation and mouthguards in high school children: Organised sports-related orodental injuries.J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:3706-3712


How to cite this URL:
Dhindsa A, Singh G, Garg S, Kour G, Kaur A, Loomba A, Sharma M. Knowledge regarding avulsion, reimplantation and mouthguards in high school children: Organised sports-related orodental injuries. J Family Med Prim Care [serial online] 2019 [cited 2021 May 15 ];8:3706-3712
Available from: https://www.jfmpc.com/article.asp?issn=2249-4863;year=2019;volume=8;issue=11;spage=3706;epage=3712;aulast=Dhindsa;type=0